Oyo State government has disclosed its readiness to present candidates in the state for the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) as well as other public examinations in the days ahead.
This is as the world continues to grapple with the realities of living with the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Chairman, Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Dr Nureni Adeniran said this on Monday in Ibadan while leading officials of the board to schools within the city to ward off illegal occupants.
The schools visited are Islamic Mission Schools 1& II, Bode and UMC Demonstration Basic Schools I, II &III, Molete, Ibadan.
He warned owners of shanties and illegal structures around the schools’ environments to relocate elsewhere.
EduCeleb.com understands that aside WASSCE, other public examinations to be written for the year and earlier postponed are the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) conducted by the National Examinations Council (NECO) and the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) conducted by the state ministry of education.
WASSCE is conducted by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC).
So far, only eight states including Oyo have indicated readiness to participate in WASSCE while the Federal Government’s unity colleges and twenty-one other states explicitly stated their non-participation due to health safety concerns.
Adeniran stated that judging from the readiness of the State through the preparation of students in all terminal classes, students in the State would face any external examination.
In his words, “Earlier, the federal government said they cancelled WAEC but we thank God that they have reversed themselves, WAEC is conducted by a regional body comprising many countries, Nigeria inclusive and the COVID-19 pandemic is global, so whatever the body says should be the final, not what Nigeria thinks should happen.
“But nonetheless, Oyo State is on top of the situation, we are preparing our students and pupils for all examinations, especially those in terminal classes, you also know that SUBEB has been doing classes for all categories of pupils and students through the television since the pandemic broke out, it shows our readiness.”
During the monitoring exercise, Dr Adeniran stated that the State government would not condone any form of illegality in the education sector, especially in the primary schools across the State.
“We will not allow erection of shanties, kiosks and illegal structures around our school premises, we are not going to condone such illegality, allowing such will have negative impacts on the psyche and performance of our pupils.
“We have come to warn them and give them ultimatum for evacuation of their structures today unfailingly, we shall come back and demolish the the structures if they fail to remove them.”
The Chairman emphasised that the State Government was not after the destruction of property and businesses of the people, rather bringing sanity to the education sector and its administration in the State.
“We are not after destruction of people’s property and businesses but to bring sanity to the education sector especially at the primary schools level,” he assured.
With him during the exercise were the Chairman, Ibadan South East Local Government, Mr Emmanuel Alawode and his counterpart at Ibadan South Local Council Development Area, Mr Kehinde Eboda.For information on Press Releases, Photos, Promotional Events and Adverts, Please Call or Send a Text to 09052129258, 08124662170 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org