Every year, Technovation invites teams of girls from all over the world to learn and apply the skills needed to solve real-world problems through technology.
Technovation offers girls around the world the opportunity to learn the necessary skills to become tech entrepreneurs and leaders. Girls ages 10 to 18 learn to identify a problem in their community and create a mobile app solution to address that problem, and then learn how to communicate these ideas and translate them into a fully launched business.
Technovation’s curriculum takes students through 4 stages of launching a mobile app startup, inspired by the principles of design thinking:
Identify a problem in the community
Develop a mobile app solution
Build a business plan to launch the app
Bring the business to market
- Technovation is open for girls ages 10 to 18
1) You will be placed in Junior Division if you will be 14 years or younger on August 1st, 2018
2) You will be placed in Senior Division if you will be between 15 and 18 by August 1st, 2018
- No prior programming experience is necessary for Technovation students
- The program has no pre-selection screening for participation
- Technovation is free for all participants
- Each team will need up to five girls (ages 10 to 18), a safe place to meet, a laptop with internet, and a smartphone or tablet
- A team can’t have more than 6 members (excluding mentors)
- Teams own the code and intellectual property developed during Technovation. Neither Technovation or Iridescent own teams’ IP or their app, but you may want to look into protecting your app here.
- To be eligible to participate in Technovation as a student, you must be between the ages of 10 to 18 as of August 1, 2018 and identify as female
- To be fully registered, you must form or join a team. Teams can range in size from 1-5 girls. No more than 5 girls are allowed to join a team. You can only join one team.
- Your team’s division – Junior or Senior – depends on the age of all team members.
- Junior Division: Team members are between 10-14 years old as of August 1, 2018
- Senior Division: Team members are between 15-18 years old as of August 1, 2018
- Adults (men and women) willing to support teams and walk them through the curriculum can register as a mentor.
- The program has no pre-selection screening for participation.
- No prior programming experience is necessary for Technovation mentors. Adults willing to encourage and inspire young girls are welcome to join as mentors
- Technovation is free for all participants.
- Mentors can join multiple teams and mentor in-person and virtually.
- The Technovation curriculum is FREE. All you need is up to five middle school or high school girls, a safe place to meet, a laptop with internet.
Teams may purchase smartphones to test the apps they create, but this can also be done in a limited way through a web-based phone emulator on App Inventor.
7th March, 2018
Technovation offers girls around the world the opportunity to learn the necessary skills to become tech entrepreneurs and leaders. Since 2010, more than 10,000 girls from 78 countries have participated in Technovation. With the help of volunteer mentors, they’ve produced mobile “startups” that have helped address problems in local and global communities the world over. And while each year more and more girls take up the challenge, we know that there are always more problems to solve and that there are girls from every part of the world ready to solve them.
Visit the Official Webpage of the Technovation Challenge 2018