The Lagos State Government has promised to conduct an investigation into the causes of the collapsed building that houses a school on Lagos Island.
This is as it called off search and rescue operations at the site of the collapsed building on Thursday.
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode had earlier in his visit to the site of the incident on Wednesday commiserated with the families that lost their loved ones to the unfortunate occurrence.
He also vowed to close down the school and others like it, which he said were not approved by the government and are operating illegally.
The governor stated that a “full-scale investigation” would be carried out immediately rescue operations are concluded, vowing that those culpable would be severely dealt with, in accordance with the relevant laws.
But on Thursday afternoon, the government said that it had concluded the evacuation of the debris at the site of the accident.
The government said via its twitter handle that “The exercise was declared concluded after the emergency officials reached the “Grand Zero” (sic) of the site of the incident (meaning that all the rubbles/debris had been evacuated and there is no evidence that anyone is still trapped).”
The Lagos State Governor-Elect, Babajide Sanwo-Olu and the Lagos State Head of Service, Mr. Hakeem Muri-Okunola were also at the scene of the incident on Thursday before later visiting victims at hospitals where the rescued persons are receiving treatment.
Meanwhile, EduCeleb.com has obtained a list of Survivors of the ill-fated building that collapsed. The list contains 41 persons among whom are five adults.
The government however said that there is no authentic number of casualties from the incident.
“Presently, there is no authentic evidence of numbers of casualties at the moment as LASEMA and other relevant stakeholders including the Ministry of Health are intensifying efforts to save the lives of the rescued victims.”
The rescued victims are in various hospitals and are receiving adequate medical attention.