This is a new opportunity with EduCeleb, Nigeria’s leading online education news and current affairs platform. We regularly publish contents in forms of news, views, interviews, opportunities and guides. Here is an opportunity to be a part of our project.
This is the maiden edition of EduCeleb’s Education Writing, Research and Reporting Programme. EduCeleb started in September 2017 as a platform addressing gaps in education reporting. We dedicate resources to information gathering and accurate news dissemination. Our efforts are also directed at making stakeholders in the education sector get value for their interest in the sector.
EduCeleb has been utilising available human resources towards ensuring that our audience get balanced and accurate information about whatever matters to them within the education sector. This programme would help expand our team members and prepare them for a likely career in education journalism and online journalism.
The intern will assist the platform through supporting these three areas of work, depending on their interests and experience, and operational needs.
It is an excellent opportunity for somebody who has a demonstrated interest in education reporting, research, and writing and wants to gain experience working in a media organisation.
The internship is virtual, and the intern can be based anywhere with good internet connection. It is for a period of six months, commencing on 1st May, 2018 and ending on 30th November, 2018. The candidate would ideally be available at a flexible time and schedule.
- Assisting in the coordination of the programmes and activities of EduCeleb.com with partner bodies
- Participation in training programmes, and projects when invited
- Assisting in research and coordination for EduCeleb Education Discourse platforms on Telegram and Facebook.
- Providing support in news gathering and writing within the education sector
- Assisting in connecting with education stakeholders and policy makers on topical issues within the education sector.
- Conducting interviews with personalities and attracting brands to the EduCeleb Website
- Contributing to EduCeleb’s social media activities by writing about, and sharing contents from the website across various social media platforms
- Carrying out organisational and administrative tasks together with designated EduCeleb officer
- A commitment to strengthening the promotion and celebration of efforts in education
- Particular interest in education-related issues, with evidence of previous works in advocacy and writing is an advantage
- Skill in graphics designing and/or video editing is an advantage
- Knowledge and experience with WordPress and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is an advantage
- Clear understanding of the workings of the Sustainable Development Goals as they affect education and literacy
- Good research and writing skills in law, sciences, policy, social sciences or any other relevant field
- Students in tertiary institutions are encouraged to apply irrespective of current course of study
- Basic knowledge of the Nigerian education system and/or state/regional human rights mechanisms as they affect one or all of child education, continuing education, nomadic education, girl-child education, special education, and reducing out-of-school children
- Non-Nigerians that meet the requirements relative to their countries are encouraged to apply
- Fluent written and spoken English, with regionally useful language skills is an asset
- Good internet connection during the internship
- Highly organized
- Strong analytical skills
- A cooperative attitude, with a genuine interest in working with people from different backgrounds
- Ability deliver results within given deadlines
- Willingness to travel, if required
This is a virtual internship
The intern will be expected to work from their current location but may need to move from one place to another to actualise some results
This is not a paid internship programme but the intern may receive stipends based on individual revenue generation drive
The successful intern will have opportunities to work with education and media organisations
Due recognition in publications and activities which the intern has contributed to will be accorded
How to apply
Candidates meeting the requirements are invited to submit an application by email, enclosing the following by 19th April, 2018 at 11:59pm (West African Time):
1. A cover letter addressing the main criteria (1 page maximum)
2. A current CV, including contact details of 2 references (2 pages maximum).
3. A few samples of previous written and/or artistic works.
Late applications may not be considered.
Process after application
All interviews will be conducted by Skype, or phone.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a written task.
Please, bear in mind that if you have not been contacted by 30th April, 2018 you have not been shortlisted for the position.
The successful candidate will be expected to commence the internship from 1st May, 2018.
Every applicant has equal opportunity of being selected irrespective of whether they are graduates or not.
All applications will be treated with the strictest of confidence.
The submission of applications is open till 11:59pm (West African Time) on 19th April, 2018.
Enquiries should be directed to the EduCeleb help desk via (+234) 09052129258.