The Osun State Government said it has mapped out plans to deploy “Class Wardens” in schools across the State upon resumption to daily monitor and ensure strict compliance to the various COVID-19 safety guidelines.
Osun, along with the six states of Southwestern Nigeria had last week agreed to reopen schools in August for students to write the West African Senior School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE).
Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation, Funke Egbemode disclosed in a statement issued on Monday that the state government counts on keeping everyone safe while at that.
According to Egbemode, “With respect to the reopening of schools to students in graduating classes for the sake of writing WASCE, our schools shall be reopened after the government has put in place every necessary precaution to ensure that our children are not exposed to the virus. Part of the measures to ensure this shall be the deployment of “Class Wardens” in schools across the State (once the reopening is announced), who will daily monitor and ensure strict compliance to the various safety guidelines.
“The State Government wishes to reiterate that the safety of every citizen of Osun, across different ages, is paramount. Hence, the government is duty-bound to take necessary steps to protect its people from actual or potential threats to lives; and that, the Oyetola-led administration shall continue to do in the best interest of the people.”
Also, the Commissioner also disclosed that the State Government has mapped out plans to deploy a mobile court to conduct instant trials of defaulters, and the prescription of community service to serve as deterrence to defaulters of the NCDC and state government’s guidelines.
“The State Government of Osun, worried about the heightening degree of non-compliance of citizens to the COVID-19 safety protocols outlined by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the State Government is considering the deployment of mobile courts across the state. Instead of fines, defaulted will be made to put in hours of community service when found guilty.
“The government expressed worry that inspite of all that has been done to enforce the safety guidelines – including lockdown, security operations and sensitization – a large number of people still move around without their face mask, while some are beginning to convene parties and social gatherings.
“This continued breach of safety protocols will further worsen the active community transmission stage the state is in and fighting hard to resist and curtail.
“The State Government will therefore look to deploy extra measures in the days ahead to upscale its fight against the spread of the pandemic. Part of the measures will be the deployment of a mobile court to conduct instant trials of defaulters, and the prescription of community service to serve as deterrence to defaulters of the NCDC and state government’s guidelines.
“We enjoin religious leaders to continue to enforce the safety protocols of the government in their respective organisations, while also noting that the guidelines set by the government remain in place,” the Commissioner said.For information on Press Releases, Photos, Promotional Events and Adverts, Please Call or Send a Text to 09052129258, 08124662170 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org