DW Akademie is accepting applications for its International Media Studies program (IMS) in Bonn, Germany. Students from developing countries interested in the Master of Arts degree can apply for scholarships.
The program is targeted at students from around the world that want to work in a position of responsibility in journalism or the communications sector. It especially addresses journalists-in-training, media representatives from radio, TV, online and print and communication experts. Those interested must have completed an academic program (bachelor’s degree or equivalent) and have acquired at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field after their first degree. The program is bilingual (English and German), whereby English is the prevalent course language.
Full Scholarship: We are granting full scholarship to up to 10 applicants each year. Prospective students from developing countries can apply for the full scholarship. The scholarship is 750 EUR per month covering costs for living and accommodation. The tuition fee and the flight will be also reimbursed. A committee will decide which applicants are to receive a scholarship after the application deadline has expired.
Partial Scholarship: Prospective students from developing countries and countries in transition who do not meet the requirements for the full scholarship, may apply for a partial scholarship. This will cover the costs of the tuition fees of 6,000 EUR. The expenses for travelling, accommodation and living will have to be paid by yourself.
This is especially targeted at:
• Media representatives from radio, TV, online and print
• Journalists-in-training, especially from electronic media
• Journalists and management from community radio stations
• Communication experts
• NGO employees
• Employees from ministries
• Employees from cooperative development groups and projects
• Representatives from regional working groups and national broadcasters
• Media association representatives
For the Master’s Program, applicants must have a bachelor’s degree, at least one year of professional experience in a media-related field and advanced skills in German and English.
Applications must be made online.
Before you begin filling out the online application form make sure you have all the required documents:
• Letter of motivation (signed and dated)
• Current Curriculum Vitae (Europass format, signed and dated)
• Certificate of your first academic degree (including ALL transcripts)
• Evidence of at least one year’s professional experience in a media-related field AFTER obtaining your first academic degree (for a full scholarship you must give evidence for at least one additional year of professional experience)
• Certificate of APS (for applicants who completed their first degree in China, Vietnam or Mongolia)
• Evidence of sufficient English language skills (TOEFL IBT: score of 83 or higher, IELTS: score of 6.0 or higher, BULATS: score of 70 or higher, LCCI: level 3) – English language certificates are valid for two years from the date of issue
• Evidence of sufficient German language skills (TestDaF at least level TDN 3 in all four parts of the examination, Goethe Zertifikat at least level B2 or DSH at least level 1)
• Copy of your passport.
If you would like to apply for a full scholarship, you will be required to submit some additional documents:
• Recent recommendation letter from a University (with letterhead, official University stamp, signature and date)
• Recent recommendation letter from your employer (with letterhead, official company stamp, signature and date)
• DAAD application form
• High school diploma
Please sign the documents where required, scan them and upload them. You will need to bring the originals with you in case you are accepted to the program.
31st March 2018
Visit the DW web page for details.