The National Union of Nigerian Students (NUNS) has accused the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) of unnecessary extortion and fake pronouncement of JAMB reduction of N11,000 Regularisation Fee to N5,000.
The Union through its National Chief Press Secretary, Ibrahim Olawale Seriki, also confirmed the readiness of the Union to launch protest against the extortions by JAMB.
He said the protest was being launched at the Press Conference of the Union held at Kaduna Polytechnic which prompted the communication between NUNS AND JAMB.
“NUNS which has concluded the plan to launch NATIONAL ACTION AGAINST JAMB EXTORTION tagged “ Oloyede Must Go” will make the Federal Government of Nigeria to choose between the Arrogant Public Servant and continuous support of Nigerian Students,” the statement read in part.
The Union attacked the board that the deliberate misinformation by JAMB is a calculated attempt to distract and derail our struggle which must be vehemently rejected.
It also accused the board for sudden turn by education agency into a revenue generating agency to impress the government that is keen on progress.
“When education agency suddenly turn to revenue generating agency to impress the government that is keen on progress, then the head of such agency must be questioned of it motive and ration is to incite students and our poor parents against the government he is serving particularly in an election year when Mr. President is seeking Re-election”.
Read the full content of the press statement below.
*_National Action Against JAMB Extortion_*
Fellow Nigerian students, I bring you warm solidarity greetings from Comr Akogun Segun Okeowo *NUNS* National Secretariat, it is with deep sense of responsibility we tender our unreserved apology to the entire Nigerian students for announcing the confirmation of JAMB reduction of N11,000 Regularization fee to N5,000. This was an information we got from the Public Affairs Directorate of the board whose Director informed the NUNS Presidency.
You will recall that our leadership had earlier pronounced National Action Against these Extortions by JAMB in a widely Publicised Press Conference held at Kaduna Polytechnic which prompted the communication line between NUNS and JAMB.
While the JAMB informed us of the fake reduction, he equally confirmed the readiness of the board to further downwardly review the charges while our students confirmed that the regularisation on the JAMB portal still remains N11,000 and other charges remained unchanged.
This deliberate misinformation by JAMB is a calculated attempt to distract and derail our struggle which must be vehemently rejected.
While Federal Government under President Muhammed Buhari is doing all things possible to make life bearable and education affordable for all, it become unimaginable, worrisome and disappointing to see an appointee of same Government sabotaging the same Government’s effort in actualising the set goals for change mantra.
When education agency suddenly turn to revenue generating agency to impress the government that is keen on progress, then the head of such agency must be Questioned of it motive and ration is to incite students and our poor parents against the Government he is serving paricularly in an election year when Mr. President is seeking Re-Election.
Under arrogant public servant who believe he is all in all, the untouchable erudite scholar Prof Isiaq Oleyede as JAMB Registrar/Chief Executive Officer the following Draconian Extortions had happened in the main time.
1. JAMB has ignored and stamped the extension of its result validity beyond 1 years against 4 years validity proposed by National Assembly.
2. JAMB has increase Regularization fee from N4, 000 to N11, 000.
3. JAMB has introduced N2, 000 admission letter checking and printing fee
4. JAMB has imposed N500 profile filling
5. JAMB has declared compulsory N3,500 payment by all part time admission seekers.
6. JAMB has maintained strict Computer Base Examination against optional of pen and paper earlier proposal of the board which gives opportunity to student in remote area who has never work or see a computer all tru their days in secondary school to write and pass JAMB examination as against this strict CBT which automatically disqualifies student from rural area from furthering their studies at higher institutions.
7. JAMB has restricted her web portal accessibility on mobile devices, a trick employed to monopolize registration exercise to only JAMB CBT centers who pays return to JAMB and invariably subject Students to stress as well disqualifies numerous the opportunity to enroll for the examination.
8. JAMB has recently hijacked the full admission and matriculation process to her self maintaining admission into institutions according to approved carry capacity with no limitation to sales of JAMB form which lower the chance of students to be admitted into institutions therefore increasing the number of students to patronize JAMB examination per session
On the aforementioned, NUNS has concluded the plan to launch *_NATIONAL ACTION AGAINST JAMB EXTORTIONS_* Tagged *Oloyede Must Go.* The Federal Government of Nigeria must choose between the Arrogant Public Servant and continuous support of Nigerian Students.
The essence of JAMB become useless while students still undergo post jamb examination with another payment before admission.
Either we scrap OLOYEDE as JAMB registrar or We Scrap JAMB as a Board
All Lover of Justice, Enemy Of Extortion and Friends of Nigerian Students must Join this Peaceful Protest To Presidential Villa (Aso-Rock).
Venue: Millenuim Park Abuja
Date : Wednesday 10th October 2018.
Time : 11:00 am.
We are equally wary of sister unions who may be readily available for use by the concern authority to frustrate this struggle but we assures all that such Union/Association shall be declared enemy of Nigerian students and shall be treated accordingly.
*We must unite to fight the oppressors for our freedom to come unconditionally*
Dare to Struggle Dare To win
*Oloyede Must Go!!!*
*Arrogant Public Servant Must Quit!!!!!*
Amb. Ibrahim Olawale Seriki
National Chief Press Secretary
National Union of Nigerian Students NUNS