UI admitted more male students than females in four years

The University of Ibadan admitted more male students than female students in four years, a research work shows.

EduCeleb.com gathered that the research work covered between the 2012/2013, and the 2015/2016 academic session.

The research work titled “Analysis of Candidates’ Performance in Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) and Post-UTME in the University of Ibadan, Nigeria” was published in 2017 in the Journal of Scientific Research and Reports.

It was written by Oluwaseun Otekunrin of the Department of Statistics at the UI, Emmanuel Okon, and Olutosin Otekunrin both of the of the Department ofAgricultural Economics and Farm Management at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta.

Over the years under review, a total of Ten Thousand, Seven Hundred and Eighteen (10,718) candidates were admitted into the university out of the initial thousands who applied to study there.

The study also showed that younger candidates between age 16 and 20 performed better than the older ones from age 21.

An average of 85.2% candidates aged between 16 and 20 got admitted over the four years considered while the remaining average of 14.8% were above age 21.

ALSO READ:  JAMB 2018: Mock UTME holds on February 26

The UTME is conducted annually by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB)  to qualify candidates for tertiary education admissions. In addition to it is a Post-UTME screening conducted by various institutions.

Like every other institution, the UI conducts an additional screening for candidates, where it evaluates a combination of their scores in the UTME and the Senior School Certificate Examination on a 50:50 ratio.

UI admissions by gender (2012-2016)

 

Admissions into the UI by gender (2012-2016)

With the exception of the 2012/2013 session, where there were more female students admitted. Other years had male students more.

In that year, Two Thousand, One Hundred and Seventy-Four (2174) candidates were admitted. Of this figure, 49.3% are males while 50.7% were females making up 1071 and 1103 respectively.

But in the 2013/2014 session, Two Thousand, Four Hundred and Seventeen (2417) candidates made it through the admission process. One Thousand, Two Hundred and Ninety-Three (1293) males and One Thousand, One Hundred and Twenty-Four (1124) females making 53.5% and 46.5% respectively.

This shows a 4.2% increase in the admission rate of male candidates but a 4.2% decline on the admission rate of females between the two academic sessions.

ALSO READ:  JAMB releases 2018 UTME results

Male candidates admitted constitute 53.5% and 53.3% in the 2014/2015 and the 2015/2016 academic sessions. This represents One Thousand, Five Hundred and Nine (1509) and One Thousand, Seven Hundred and Forty-Eight (1748) respectively.

On the other hand, 46.5% and 46.7% of candidates admitted in both sessions were females. These make up a sum of Two Thousand, Eight Hundred and Seventy (2870) for the two years.

The findings from the data establish that while there were more male students admitted into the UI than female students, the gap is not very wide between both gender. The researchers however propose that more advocacy should go into female education in Nigeria.

EduCeleb.com reports that the UI has been the only Nigerian university to have made various global university rankings in recent years. The university operates on a 60:40 ratio of admissions for postgraduate and undergraduate programmes respectively.

Established in 1948 as a college of the University of London, the university has “the first and best” as its slogan. Its administrators project it becoming among the top 100 universities in world in the nearest future.

News Reporter
Abdussalam is dedicated to learning new things. He has proven competence in journalism, teaching, and writing. Contact him via abdussalam@educeleb.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Secured By miniOrange